Just a stick Jock

Posts tagged “Sca padding

SurCotte

I asked Mistress Marcela (http://www.cottesimple.com/ ) to make me a Surcotte, and I have to say it rocks hard!  I think it gave an extra dimension to the kit I am wearing now and I feel like I am coming closer to a finished kit.  I hope to get a few pics when I am in motion

and show how great it moves.  It is a nice high weight material (but not so high it is hot) and moves great!  It just feel like it should be warn with this kit.  When I hope to get the pics should be at Double Wars here is Sweden and I will have the whole rig out, Maille and Sugar Loaf.

Gotvik Practice is going well, I started a hour earlier this week so I had time with the new people to start them working on a few things and to give myself some time to fight as well.  I feel this is going to be a good format for the future as long as people keep showing up.

 

Finally, I got new bracers but I will show them in a later post so stay tuned.

 

Best

-H

 


First night at Fight practice!

A good buddy of mine found these photos on an old cell phone, this is my first night in armour on 01/06/06! They are grainy and very bad, but they are the first night of fighting ever!

-H


General Thoughts and Some Links

Its been a crazy few weeks for me! I have been packing and getting ready for my move to sweden and getting all my paper work together has been wild.  I have been counting forks and plates 🙂

So here is something I been meaning to post for a bit now! On the La Cotte Simple site (http://www.cottesimple.com/ )  there is a great pattern for a Marshal Surcotte! They look great and will cover up any of the plastic or ugly armour you have!

http://www.cottesimple.com/surcottes/draft_and_sew_a_surcotte.pdf

Also, if you are looking for links on effigies or Manuscripts this site is wonderful ( http://manuscriptminiatures.com/ ), this ties nicely in to the “La Cotte Simple”  because if you are looking at doing a 14th century kit you will see in the manuscripts how many marshal kits have surcotte.

Final thought of today, is foot work.  I think that I need to redo my footwork; there is alot I am missing in my foot work that can be fixed.

Best

-H


Hiding the Elbows

Been looking at a some photos from Pennsic and my own kit and saw some thing interesting.  When you look close at the maille kits you can see the RFH elbows peaking though the maille.  So what I did was Grab a little bit of black fabric and my trusty stray glue.  I attached the fabric to the elbow and away the cup went in to the back ground.  Now all you see is maille!

Best

-H


More Updates On my Kit

More updates:

Since I haven’t been doing nearly as much fighting as I would like to be doing and work is kicking my butt it has given me the opportunity to work on some small kit up grades.   So for my padded cuisses and hanging knees of my 14th century rig, I have added a leather pad behind each of my knees.

In the image to the left you can see that I had to knee (Sir Vitus made) and the leather knee pad (SteelMastery) on my work bench.  I had to punch two wholes in the knee pad so that I could hang them right behind my knee.

In the end it ended up looking like the picture to the left.  I think it gave the kit a bit of depth that it didnt have before.

It was a quick and easy add on that in the end I think looked better

-H


Over a year Later and still working (Part 2)

I have finished and used the new leg armour set up for about a month now,  and have made a few modification to my design.  I think the biggest issue right now is figuring the best way to tie everything together but I feel I have a good system now.   If you look at the images below you will see how I cut the armour and tied everything together.

Left leg

Right leg tied

Finally, the only thing I think might help is if I add a peice of leather across the back to make everthing fit tighter but that is going to happen later.

-H


Over a year Later and still working

I have been trying to get the padded gambeson leg armour to work for a year now.  It is starting to get old, they were “are” stiff and fit very weird and are hard as hell to fight in.  I know my boy Joe has been working on his too and with some luck.

Yesterday night I jumped back in to working on mine to see if I can get them working, because I have had two failures in the area this year in my amour, first were these and second was this piece of armour (see right) they look cool and I thought they would work well too but i was very wrong.  At pennsic I was wearing them and they blow up twice. Both times resulted in some pain (not much but some) and than I needed to  tape them up (which I hate to death).  In the end they didnt end up working very well

 

In that I stated my second round of working with the padded gamdeson leg armour, and I started to modify the shape and cut of the body.  Also, I have re-enlisted the plastic floating knees I was using before. 

As you can see to the left I have cut the inter leg section of the piece and added a cut behind the knee as well.  I think I might add a strap or two to make it easier to wear and a tighter fit, which will allow me to feel the hits a bit more than if I just let it hang.    Also, I might add a piece of leather to the back just to make it a more complete fit.

For the knee I simply readjusted it to make it fit a bit better but here is a pic of that too.

In the end I am going to wear the black greaves, plastic knees and legs; I will see how that works out and let you all know.

 

 

-H